Skip to content

Are you wondering about some questions connected to our services? We are collecting to this page frequently asked questions and answers regarding student health care services for students in higher education.

About services

  • In case you are an incoming international exchange student can no longer use FSHS services as of 1st of January 2021.

However, you can find further information about the Finnish health care system through these websites:

  • Mental health services provided within student health care include first stage support and evaluations, prevention and treatment groups, digital self-care services with support for their use, appointments with a psychiatric nurse or a doctor, short-term therapy and other short fixed-term treatment forms, medicinal treatment, support for study ability (special support), consultations with a psychiatrist, psychological evaluations, consultations and examinations, evaluations of study ability and assessments of the need for further treatment or rehabilitation and referral to these services.
  • Student health care services in Finland are defined in the law on student health care for higher education students (link leads to Finnish site) and specified further in the guide on student health care (link in Finnish) by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health. Kela organises the student health care services that FSHS produces enligt according to governmental decrees.
  • The FSHS’s mission connected to mental health related issues consists of mental health work, the betterment of students’ mental health, the preventive work related to mental illnesses as well as the early identification of problems that are related to mental health. Furthermore, we offer treatment in a fast manner to those in need and the goal is to offer effective treatment as well. If needed we direct the individual for further treatment, evaluation for the need of rehabilitation and service guidance for rehabilitative services. We also follow up on long-term mental illnesses, support students study ability (through special support) for those whose study ability has been reduced due to an existing mental condition.
  • For those, who have fallen ill to psychotic illnesses the FSHS offers early identification of the illness and directs such individuals for further treatment as well as offering support for study ability. We also follow up on long-term mental illnesses (including the prescriptions the individual needs). The furtherment of the students study ability will be realized in the coming responsibility teams in such cases where the services are not included in the public sectors service repertoire.
  • FSHS psychologist conduct on the basis of a psychiatrist consultative request a so-called cognitive primary evaluation. In such an evaluation one tests an individual’s abilities and skills on a general level, different aspects of memory. Moreover, the individual’s ability to concentrate is evaluated as well as the how the individual regulates their own behavior is evaluated through a psychological evaluation.
  • Absolutely. You can use FSHS services during weekdays throughout the year. However, there will be shorter opening hours during certain holidays which occur during weekdays (New Year’s Eve, Maundy Thursday and Walpurgis Night).
  • You can also in the future get student health care services related to women’s diseases and sexual health on a general practitioner level. Psychiatrist services are also included as a part of student health care. If needed students will be steered to special medical care. Please note that the specialty care organization may charge a fee according to its own price list.

Yes, a specialist doctor or specialist medical care provider charges a visit fee according to their own price list.

You are eligible to use services your wellbeing service county provides as usual. Please note that you must still pay your healthcare fee for students in higher education to Kela if you have registered as attending for the study term. The organiser of the care might also charge additional healthcare fees according to their policies.

  • Students will be referred to the nearest possible service unit where it is possible to receive oral health services. However, in some cases it might be possible to come to a remote consultation.
  • The FSHS conducts diagnostics which are connected to developmental based neuropsychiatric diagnostics as well as such examinations which are required for the planning of treatment and rehabilitation to such a extent that they are included in the student health care services. The FSHS can conduct ADHD diagnostic and common treatments can be started if the diagnosis does not require neuropsychological evaluations and if there is no suspicion of other underlying neuropsychiatric disturbances in addition to ADHD.
  • If you suspect you might have an attention and hyperactivity disorder, you can fill in a service form in the Self online service.
  • We forwarded this question to Migri who provided us an answer to this question.
  • Although a student can receive services from the FSHS a health insurance will be necessary for the entire duration of the stay within Finland.
  • Please note, that students from the European Union as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland and the United Kingdom can meet this requirement through obtaining the European Health Insurance Card.
  • The FSHS treats often problems related to wisdom teeth as they are very common amongst students. The decision to remove wisdom teeth is made in connection to a dentist appointment and the removal of wisdom teeth is done free of charge.