Frequently asked questions
Are you wondering about some questions connected to our services? We are collecting to this page frequently asked questions and answers regarding student health care services for students in higher education.
Can international exchange students use FSHS services?
- In case you are an incoming international exchange student can no longer use FSHS services as of 1st of January 2021.
However, you can find further information about the Finnish health care system through these websites:
Do you have remote consultations?
- Our one word answer is yes. You can take care of several health-related matters with our health care professionals through remote consultations that are conducted through video conference. You can make remote appointments in all our service units and during autumn our Digital Doctors will also start their work.
Is the FSHS reducing services?
- The student health care services are defined by law in the act on healthcare for students in higher education which is precised in the guide on student healthcare which is made by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health. The Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela) organizes the services which are then produced by the FSHS in accordance to the decisions made by the authorities.
- The services of the FSHS will mainly remain as they are now.
Why is the FSHS increasing the amount of remote consultations?
- Remote consultations are primarily an alternative to in-person appointments. Once you have made an appointment you can in most cases choose by yourself if the appointment will be conducted as a remote consultation or as an in-person appointment. There are also such cases where remote consultations are not possible. Especially in such cases which require physical examinations.
- The development of remote consultations is also based on the wishes of students. Many students think that it is nice and easy to take care of business with the FSHS remotely in matters that do not require one to be present physically.
How are mental health issues, mental health illnesses, treatment and prescriptions related matters taken care of?
- The FSHS’s mission connected to mental health related issues consists of mental health work, the betterment of students’ mental health, the preventive work related to mental illnesses as well as the early identification of problems that are related to mental health. Furthermore, we offer treatment in a fast manner to those in need and the goal is to offer effective treatment as well. If needed we direct the individual for further treatment, evaluation for the need of rehabilitation and service guidance for rehabilitative services. We also follow up on long-term mental illnesses, support students study ability (through special support) for those whose study ability has been reduced due to an existing mental condition.
- For those, who have fallen ill to psychotic illnesses the FSHS offers early identification of the illness and directs such individuals for further treatment as well as offering support for study ability. We also follow up on long-term mental illnesses (including the prescriptions the individual needs). The furtherment of the students study ability will be realized in the coming responsibility teams in such cases where the services are not included in the public sectors service repertoire.
What kind of mental health services are included in student health care?
- Mental health services provided within student health care include first stage support and evaluations, prevention and treatment groups, digital self-care services with support for their use, appointments with a psychiatric nurse or a doctor, short-term therapy and other short fixed-term treatment forms, medicinal treatment, support for study ability (special support), consultations with a psychiatrist, psychological evaluations, consultations and examinations, evaluations of study ability and assessments of the need for further treatment or rehabilitation and referral to these services.
What does a primary psychological evaluation consist of?
- FSHS psychologist conduct on the basis of a psychiatrist consultative request a so-called cognitive primary evaluation. In such an evaluation one tests an individual’s abilities and skills on a general level, different aspects of memory. Moreover, the individual’s ability to concentrate is evaluated as well as the how the individual regulates their own behavior is evaluated through a psychological evaluation.
Will it be possible to use FSHS services during summer and other vacation periods?
- Absolutely. You can use FSHS services during weekdays throughout the year. However, there will be shorter opening hours during certain holidays which occur during weekdays (New Year’s Eve, Maundy Thursday and Walpurgis Night).
Are all appointments free of charge?
- The higher education healthcare fee that students pay to Kela covers all FSHS services. The FSHS does not charge for any appointments. However, that being said the charge for noncancelled appointments will remain.
Is it possible to get gynecological and other services from specialist doctors?
- You can also in the future get student health care services related to women’s diseases and sexual health on a general practitioner level. Psychiatrist services are also included as a part of student health care. If needed students will be steered to special medical care. Please note that the specialty care organization may charge a fee according to its own price list.
How does oral health care services function in those places where the FSHS does not offer i
- Students will be referred to the nearest possible service unit where it is possible to receive oral health services. However, in some cases it might be possible to come to a remote consultation.
Do I have to pay for a visit to a specialist doctor or a visit to special health care if I get a referral there from FSHS?
Yes, a specialist doctor or specialist medical care provider charges a visit fee according to their own price list.
Are examinations connected to ADHD included in FSHS services?
- The FSHS conducts diagnostics which are connected to developmental based neuropsychiatric diagnostics as well as such examinations which are required for the planning of treatment and rehabilitation to such a extent that they are included in the student health care services.
- The FSHS can conduct ADHD diagnostic and common treatments can be started if the diagnosis does not require neuropsychological evaluations and if there is no suspicion of other underlying neuropsychiatric disturbances in addition to ADHD.
Does the FSHS perform surgeries?
- The FSHS performs small surgeries such as birthmark removal but no demanding surgeries which would require anesthetics. In oral health we conduct the removal of wisdom teeth for instance and this counts as a surgery.
Why are there only three service units in the capital region and none of them is in Vantaa?
- There is not a service unit in Vantaa. Instead, the service unit in Malmi functions as the service unit for students in the Eastern part of the capital area.
Can FSHS be an equivalent to insurance asked by Migri for international students while applying for a residence permit?
- We forwarded this question to Migri who provided us an answer to this question.
- Although a student can receive services from the FSHS a health insurance will be necessary for the entire duration of the stay within Finland.
- Please note, that students from the European Union as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland and the United Kingdom can meet this requirement through obtaining the European Health Insurance Card.
Is it possible to remove wisdom teeth at the FSHS? How much does it cost?
- The FSHS treats often problems related to wisdom teeth as they are very common amongst students. The decision to remove wisdom teeth is made in connection to a dentist appointment and the removal of wisdom teeth is done free of charge.