Skip to content

Travel health advice is provided both at the FSHS units and via a separate travel health advice service.

  • If you are going on a short tourist trip to a city or beach destination, an FSHS unit of your study town will advise you if necessary.
  • If you are travelling far or leaving on a student exchange abroad etc., the FSHS travel health advice services will help you.
  • You can receive certificates from your local service unit in case you need them before your exchange studies.

Make sure your basic vaccinations are up to date

  • If you are going abroad, check beforehand that your basic vaccinations are up to date.
  • Make sure that you’ve had two MMR vaccinations (against measles, mumps and rubella), polio vaccination as a child, as well as tetanus/dtap vaccinations (against diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis – whooping cough) according to the standard vaccination programme. A booster dose of polio vaccine is given only when travelling to a risk country. Dt/dtap is given as a child, at secondary school, during military service and/or at the age of 25. After this, a booster dose (dT) should be given every 20 years.
  • Find out about your vaccination history by checking your vaccination card or maternity clinic card or by contacting the military service, local health centre, patient records archive, occupational healthcare or private medical clinic.
  • If you know you only need basic vaccinations (MMR, tetanus-d, dtap and polio) or vaccinations against hepatitis or tick-borne encephalitis, contact the FSHS unit in your study town.

Check the required or recommended vaccinations for your destination

  • Make a detailed travel plan before your trip.
  • If you are travelling far or leaving on a student exchange abroad etc., complete a pre-travel health survey on the Self online service as early as possible. By completing the survey at least 2 to 3 months before your trip, you will receive any prescriptions and begin any necessary vaccination programmes in time.
  • If you’re due to start your trip in less than 6 weeks, also contact the FSHS unit of your study town to find out if a vaccination against hepatitis is required.
  • A public health nurse will review your survey and will send you travel advice via Self. Travel health advice is provided in conjunction with a doctor.
  • If you have underlying medical conditions or you are on regular medication, you need anti-malarial medication or there are other issues in your survey that require particular attention, the public health nurse will call you within 10 working days using the phone number entered in the FSHS patient register. Make sure that your contact information in Self is correct. Please also note that the call will come from an unknown number.
  • Several vaccinations, such as those against hepatitis A, hepatitis B, Japanese encephalitis and yellow fever require a doctor’s prescription. If any vaccines and/or anti-malarial medications are required, an FSHS travel doctor will issue an ePrescription direct to the pharmacy.