Skip to content

You need to book an appointment to see a healthcare professional. To book an appointment, contact us through either SelfChat or by calling our service numbers in order to conduct a need for treatment assessment.

A healthcare professional will examine and assess your situation and its level of urgency, provide you with self-care instructions and, if necessary, give you a booking permission and refer you to the appropriate professional. If you’re booking a follow-up appointment and already have a booking permission, you can make the booking via the Self online service.

With the exception of oral health services, a public health nurse will often be your first treatment contact at the FSHS. In addition to face-to-face appointments, some appointments may take the form of remote consultations.

With a public health nurse, you can discuss your concerns about your health and your ability to study. The nurse will look at your situation and will provide you with health advice and guidance for the prevention and treatment of illnesses. The nurse can also give you advice about birth control, perform health check-ups, give vaccinations and issue short-term sick leave certificates for your place of study or your employer. You may also be referred for laboratory examinations before an appointment with a doctor.

After your need for treatment has been assessed, you can be referred to a psychiatric nurse if your problem concerns mental health or substance abuse. The psychiatric nurse will look at the situation with you, offer you treatment and support, and guide your self-care. 

A physiotherapist can help you with problems related to mobility and the ability to function. The physiotherapist may also examine and assess your posture, and guide and instruct you in the prevention and rehabilitation of injuries and/or symptoms.

To see a general practitioner, you usually need a referral by a public health nurse or psychiatric nurse, but sometimes you can get an immediate appointment after the assessment of your need for treatment. The general practitioner will take care of all matters related to your health and/or illness. These include gynaecological problems, musculoskeletal pain, allergies, asthma, mental health problems, acne and other skin conditions. The general practitioner will carry out basic examinations and provide treatment, issue study-related medical certificates and statements, and if necessary refer you for additional examinations or an appointment with a psychologist, physiotherapist or specialist.

Appointments with specialists vary according to the service unit. There are appointments available for instance with dermatologists, gynaecologists and psychiatrists. Dermatologists treat different types of skin conditions and problems. Gynaecologists treat gynaecological problems and conditions. Appointments with specialists require a referral by a general practitioner.

An oral hygienist treats gingival diseases following a referral by a dentist, offers self-care instructions and nutritional guidance, and performs follow-up examinations of the mouth and the teeth according to the treatment interval determined by a dentist. The oral hygienist may also perform x-ray examinations if required by a dentist.

A dentist will examine your mouth to assess the condition of your teeth and gums, your dental occlusion, examine your wisdom teeth, and determine the need for health guidance and services. The dentist fills dental cavities and performs extractions, root canal treatments and other standard dental procedures. If necessary, the dentist will refer you for imaging examinations or to an oral hygienist. The dentist will also assess your need for more complicated treatment and can refer you to a dental specialist or for specialist treatment. If you have a fear of dental procedures, inform the dentist so you can discuss ways of relieving it.

A general practitioner or a psychiatrist will refer you to a psychologist if you need short-term therapy or psychological assessment. Short-term therapy is mainly based on discussions, and its framework will be agreed immediately at the start of treatment.

A general practitioner can refer you to a psychiatrist if you have problems with mental health or substance abuse that require specialist assessment in terms of diagnosis, creating a treatment plan or the treatment itself. The psychiatrist will perform a psychiatric evaluation consisting of an interview, questionnaires and laboratory examinations. Together you will create the most appropriate treatment and rehabilitation plan. During the early stages of treatment, the psychiatrist may monitor your treatment response at follow-up visits.

If you have problems with sexuality, gender identity or your sex life, healthcare professionals can refer you to a sex counsellor. Sex counselling usually takes the form of a remote consultation. You can have 1 to 5 appointments for sex counselling.

Group activities provide you with guidance and support to control your life and to promote your health. There are group activities available to support mental health, stress management, nutrition, mobility and the ability to function, among other things. They are available at many service units and online throughout the year. More information about the groups can be obtained from our website and our healthcare staff.