Frequently asked questions
Any questions about how to use our services? To this page we are collecting frequently asked questions and answers about how to use our services and about the health care fee for students in higher education.
About how to use services
Can I visit any FSHS service unit?
- Your primary FSHS service unit is the one in your study town. If necessary, you will be permitted to book an appointment to a service unit which is run by the FSHS at another town.
- Please note, that only students who study at a location in which there is a branch unit operated by one of our partners can use that service unit.
Can I use FSHS health care services prior to December during the autumn semester in case I pay the fee only then?
- In case you are encompassed by the FSHS services the health care fee must be paid in accordance to schedule set by Kela. However, the schedule depends on when you are enrolled as present at your educational institution. For instance, if you enroll as present between the 1st of October and the 31st of December then you are obliged to pay the health care fee by the end of the year. You can use FSHS services once you are enrolled as present.
Where do I get a booking permission?
- Booking an appointment occurs through the need for treatment assessment. And the need for treatment assessment is conducted by a health care professional who charts your situation, evaluates your need for treatment, evaluates the urgency of the matter and provides with advice for self-treatment. You receive the need for treatment assessment either through SelfChat or by phone. Read more
Is it possible to get psychiatric treatment at the FSHS although I have an on-going patient relationship with the public sector?
- The mental health services which the FSHS produces and which are part of the student health care are essentially equal to the treatments one can receive from a public health center. With the difference that the FSHS does not produce rehabilitative services related to mental health and does not treat patient with substance abuse background or opioid dependencies.
- In case you have an on-going treatment relationship with special health care (for instance at a psychiatric polyclinic), then the FSHS cannot provide you with the same level of treatment. However, in such situations the FSHS can provide additional support for your study abilities. In case you have an on-going patient relationship with a health center then you can move your treatment relationship to the FSHS provided that your relationship does not consist of rehabilitation or treatment of substance abuse. Before you move your patient relationship to us you should discuss the matter with the treating person at your current place of treatment in order to assess whether such a move would be appropriate.
Is it possible to remove wisdom teeth at the FSHS? How much does it cost?
- The FSHS treats often problems related to wisdom teeth as they are very common amongst students. The decision to remove wisdom teeth is made in connection to a dentist appointment and the removal of wisdom teeth is done free of charge.
Can students at Åland University of Applied Sciences use FSHS services?
- Studens at Åland University of Applied Sciences cannot use FSHS services because their student health care is organized under another juristriction. Therefore, they also do not need to pay the student health care fee.
How do I receive the permission to book an appointment if I live in another location than my study town?
- When you book appointments at the FSHS you will always need to contact us through our national service numbers or the SelfChat. At this stage it does not matter where you live.
Can students at open universities use FSHS services?
Can multiform students at universities of applied sciences use services from their municipality?
- Students use services primarily from their own service unit. In case it is a service unit which is maintained by one of our partners then only those students who study at that particular location can use services from there.
How will health care students at universities of applied sciences receive their vaccinations in the future?
- FSHS specially appointed teams will take care of all the needs of the educational institutions. For instance, the vaccinations are conducted often in such a way that the nurse will come to the location where the students are.
About the student health care fee
How much is the health care fee?
- The Finnish government has verified for the first time ever the health care fee for students in higher education. The health care fee is in 2021 71,60 euros. According to the act on student health care the payment is done in two rates in which case the fee per semester is 35,80 euros.
Does one pay the student health care fee to Kela even though one does not use FSHS services?
- We have received several questions regarding this subject and through this answer we attempt to answer to them all:
- Kela charges the student health care fee from all those students who are encompassed by the FSHS services. All students draw benefits from FSHS services regardless to whether they come to appointments or not. The mission of the FSHS is, according to the act on healthcare for students in higher education and the Ministry of Social Affair’s Guide on student health care, to provide students with health care services. However, the same guiding documents state that the FSHS’s mission is to further student’s health on a more general level which also includes improving the well-being of the community health as well as the health and safety of study environments. All students benefit from many of these objectives. Even those who do not use individual services. In other words, the health care fee does not equal an individuals appointment services but on a broader level the student health care in its entirety.
Will the tuition fees remain the same despite the health care fee we pay to Kela?
- Domestic students or students who come from the EU/EEA-area are not subject to tuition fees. However, institutions of higher education make their own decision on the amount of tuition fee they charge from their students from those students that come outside this area. You can find the latest and best information regarding tuition fees from your own educational institution. For information regarding student union’s membership fee you can find information from your own student union.
What happens if I forget to pay the health care fee to Kela?
- We found the following information at Kela’s own website:
- If you do not pay the healthcare fee by the due date, Kela will send you a reminder. If the healthcare fee is paid after the due date, a fixed late-payment fee will be charged. If you do not pay the healthcare fee after having been reminded of it, Kela can withhold the fee and the late-payment fee from your study grant payments without consulting you. If the fee cannot be withheld from the study grant payments, the healthcare fee will be referred to the enforcement authority for collection.
I paid the FSHS health care fee when I enrolled as present for the academic year 2020-2021. Must I pay the fee again or can I get the money back?
- You have paid only for the autumn semester in case you paid your student unions membership fee via the Oili enrollment services. Because the Oili-system does not allow one to pay extra fees. Therefore, everything should be fine but in case you want to double check you can contact your own student union to ask them.
- In case you study at the spring semester 2021 then you must pay the health care fee for the spring semester. You can read more about the matter at Kela’s website.
Why doesn’t Kela bill students for the healthcare fee?
- Kela cannot bill students because Kela will not have a list of all affected students before the due date. The healthcare fee must be paid by all students who register as attending. However, it is possible to register as attending as late as the due date. For example, the first due date is scheduled for 31 January 2021. Students who register as attending on that date must pay the fee on the same date.
- To reach all students who are required to pay the fee, we are providing information about the change and about the fee through several different channels
More information at Kela’s website.
I have a study place in two institutions of higher education. Must I pay the fee twice?
- No, you don’t. The healthcare fee is assessed on individual students and not on the basis of the number of higher education institutions attended. Kela answered the question here already.
I do not want to pay and I am of a different opinion concerning my payment obligation. What can I do about it?
- You can request a decision from Kela concerning the payment of the student health care fee.
I will be studying abroad as an exchange student. Do I have to pay the healthcare fee?
- The fee must be paid by students who are studying for a Finnish higher education degree and have registered as attending for the autumn or spring term.
- If you are registered as attending in a Finnish higher education institution while doing your study exchange or other period of foreign study, you must pay the healthcare fee. You do not have to pay the healthcare fee if you are registered as non-attending.
- Higher education institutions do not have a uniform policy on whether they require students to register as attending while on a study exchange.
- We cannot bill students because we will not have a list of all affected students before the due date. The healthcare fee must be paid by all students who register as attending. However, it is possible to register as attending as late as the due date. For example, the first due date is scheduled for 31 January 2021. Students who register as attending on that date must pay the fee on the same date.
- To reach all students who are required to pay the fee, we are providing information about the change and about the fee through several different channels. In January 2021, we will send a letter about the healthcare fee to students who registered as attending by early January but have not yet paid the fee.