Frequently asked questions

1. What to do if I get ill?

Call your local FSHS unit in the morning. The FSHS is open Mon-Thu from 8 am to 3 pm and Fri from 8 am to 2 pm. If the unit is closed, contact your local health centre. Read more.

2. What are Emergency Services (päivystys)?

Read more.

3. I wish to come to Finland to study Finnish. Must I apply for a residence permit for studies?

Read more

4. I have been accepted to study at a Finnish educational institution and will soon apply for a residence permit. What kind of health insurance will I need?

Read more (No. 14)

5. Where can I acquire the officially approved health insurance that I need in order to apply for a student residence permit?

Read more (No.15)

6. What is the Student Insurance Program (SIP)?

Read more.

7. What is a Kela-card?

Read more.

8. What is a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?

Read more (Kela)
Read more (EC)

9. Where can I buy my medicines?

Medicines are sold in pharmacies. A doctor’s prescription is required for certain medicines. Some medicines are sold without a prescription. Read more. 

10. I feel tired and nothing seems to interest me — Am I suffering from winter seasonal affective disorder (SAD)?

Read more about winter SAD.
Read about Bright light therapy 

11. I feel lonely and in low spirits. What should I do?

You can always call the FSHS and come to talk with a public health nurse. You are not alone!

12. My skin is dry and flaking. What should I do to treat my skin problems?

Use a thicker skin cream, available from the pharmacy.

13. How should I treat my cold?

Rest at home. If necessary, visit the pharmacy for over-the-counter medicines to treat e.g. fever/cough. Contact the FSHS if the symptoms persist for e.g. 3–5 days or if they are severe.

Read more: Common cold, respiratory tract infection

14. My ear hurts. What if I have an ear infection?

Take painkillers and book an appointment at the clinic.

15. Where can I ask more about sexually transmitted diseases?

You can send questions to health care professionals via our online health advice service.
Read also: Sexual health and contraception