Skip to content

Updated 13th of February 2020

Three million euros of state funding has been allocated for the FSHS expansion this year.

Just before the end of the year, the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health granted an additional 1.4 million euros to fund the work required by the expansion.

When the Act comes into effect, the main funder of healthcare for students in higher education will be the state, which will provide 77% of the funding. The healthcare fee paid by students will cover the other 23% of the costs.

**********

Updated 10th of December 2019

On 1 March 2019, parliament approved the government’s proposal for an Act on healthcare for students in higher education, and on 17 May 2019, the Act was given assent by Finland’s president. The Act will take effect on 1 January 2021.

In practice, the new legislation means that in addition to university students, students at universities of applied sciences will also have access to the primary healthcare services provided by the FSHS. The specific aim of the Act is to ensure student healthcare equality between these student groups.

Funding and the parties concerned

The main parties in the expansion of student healthcare for students in higher education are the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, The Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela) and the FSHS.

  • The Ministry of Social Affairs and Health will be responsible for general monitoring, guidance and development.
  • Kela will be responsible for the nationwide organisation of student healthcare and the related cost estimates, and from 2021 onwards, also for the collection of healthcare fees.
  • The FSHS will provide the services nationwide in a manner that ensures equality for all.

To implement the expansion, 3 million euros of state funding has been allocated for work in 2020. When the Act comes into effect, the main funder of healthcare for students in higher education will be the state, which will provide 77% of the funding. The healthcare fee paid by students will cover the other 23% of the costs.

Why choose the FSHS as service provider?

The FSHS has a strong basis for expansion: a nationwide patient data system integrated with national systems, established operating structures and multidisciplinary collaboration networks to promote health in student communities. Digital solutions have been developed and introduced in recent years based on students’ wishes and needs. These solutions are cost-effective and can be scaled up to serve the growing number of students from diverse backgrounds.

Another important factor is the understanding and expertise that the FSHS has accumulated on developmental features related to young adults and how these affect students’ well-being and health service use.