Jan 29, 2019
Week 6 is Xylitol week in Finland. During this week you can raise your awareness of oral health and xylitol by visiting our units, following us on social media and noticing us on certain universities’ campuses. During the week 6 you can notice us
- on Thursrday 7 February 10.30 am–1.30 pm Aalto University’s Otaniemi campus’s Undergraduate Centre (Otakaari 1)
- on Monday 4 February 10.30 am–1.30 pm in FSHS’s unit in Töölö (Töölönkatu 37 A),
- on Tuesday 5 February 10.30 am–1.30 pm in Helsinki University’s Kumpula campus’s Physicum-building ((Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2 B),
- on Wednesday 6 February 10.30 am–1.30 pm in Helsinki University’s Viikki campus’s info centre Korona (Viikinkaari 11) and
- on Friday 8 February 10.30 am–1.30 pm in FSHS’s unit in Töölö (Töölönkatu 37 A).
Use xylitol after meals
Xylitol reduces dental caries. Use xylitol at least 5 grams daily: for example six pieces of 100% xylitol gum. Use xylitol - like gum or pastilles - after every meal to cut off the acid attack.
Xylitol does not replace brushing your teeth with fluoride toothpaste twice a day. By brushing your teeth you can avoid caries and gum infection.
Oral health and nutrition
Did you know that your eating habits affect your oral health? Nibbling gnaws away teeth. By eating regular meals you can avoid feeling hungry and nibbling. Enjoy sweets together with a meal. Eating sugary things too often leads to recurring acid attacks. Use xylitol products after enjoying sweets. Read more about nibbling and oral health.
Drink water when thirsty. By drinking water instead of soda and energy drinks you can avoid tooth erosion and dental cavities. Choose whole fruit instead of juice.
Take care of your teeth and oral health!